Monday, April 28, 2014

Life is Chaotic and Moving is Bittersweet

No fitness and well-being related talk for today - just a sentimental post by a girl sad to leave Kalamazoo behind her, but thrilled for what the future may bring!

This city has grown on me these last few years. I found my place here. I showed the world, and myself, what I am capable of as and independent young woman. I, by myself and with friends, discovered all of the incredible things this city has to offer. There were many adventures to be had and still so many that lay undiscovered.

What will I miss? 
-My classmates
-The world's greatest gym buddy
-My best friend across the hallway
-The University Rec Center
-Art Hop
-Bells, Beer Exchange, Gonzo's, Old Dog...
-Waterstreet Coffee
-Lake Michigan
-Bank Street Farmer's Market
-LaRue's
-Hometown Automotive
-All of the festivals downtown in the summer
...the list goes on, and on, and on...

What will I not miss? 
-construction
-poorly timed traffic lights
-pot holes
Can I just go for "Michigan roads" as my default answer?

These last few months have been filled with spastic completion of my last semester in the classroom. It's overwhelming to think we have come this far in our education, and even more so to think of what the next months will bring. I am moving on to my Level II fieldwork experience, which means moving to Ohio!

That's right. I am moving to "The Buckeye State". 

Upon which I will promptly don my Tigers jersey, #35, and cheer for them as they play the Indians at Progressive Field.

I will trade Lake Michigan sunsets for Lake Erie ones.

I will hang pictures of Mackinac on the walls.

I will show people where I come from by using my hands.

I will load my car with as much wine from the Leelanau  Peninsula and the Old Mission Peninsula  as I'm able.

Just kidding, I'm too poor for that. Student loans? Hellooooo...

I may be leaving the state, but thank goodness it's only a hop-skip-and-a-jump back to Michigander borders that hold friends and family. And the best part? Schooner and I will finally be with Coastie. Finally. No more LDR. No more nightly Facetime/Skype. No more fighting back tears while I drive away back to school. That heartache and most difficult part of our relationship gets to come to an end.

My new heartache? 
Packing. 


I've spent the last week taking things off the walls and shelves and putting them into boxes and bags. I've been filling holes with spackle and wiping out shelves and cupboards. Schooner? He's been hiding, scared of all the noise and movement he knows will inevitably lead to his containment in a carrier for a car ride.

Anxious cat, he knows his fate...

This coming Saturday is the first leg of the "Big Move", as I've dubbed it. I will have to make a few trips due to lots of stuff and only a little space. So please forgive the short post, ramblings, and lack of anything fitness-related. Once this move is through, you will hear from me on a much more regular basis - about my continued journey into well-being - the challenges, struggles, triumphs and delicious food.

For now, I go to pack more boxes and baste the turkey breast that will feed me for the next few days!

Live well everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment