Monday, February 10, 2014

My Kitchen Monday: Easy Egg Scramble!

I love all things breakfasty! Breakfast burritos, easy over eggs, granola, yogurt, grits...you name it! Egg scrambles are simple enough, so let me show you how I make a low-calorie and protein dense scramble to keep you full!

Ingredients: 
1 whole egg
2 egg whites
1/3 yellow bell pepper
1/3 red bell pepper
1/3 orange bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red onion

I spray my pan with a non-stick spray...I really need to get a new pan, you'll see in the picture it's turning permanently from white to brown, joy...and dump in all the veggies. I personally like them on the crunchier side, so I'll saute them hot and fast. Peppers and onions are a great source of natural fiber, which will help to keep you full. It's recommended that women younger than 50 years old take in approximately 25 grams of fiber daily, while those older than 50 should have around 21 grams per day. The soluble fiber contained in the veggies moves more slowly through the digestive tract, allowing for absorption of nutrients. It even helps to lower blood cholesterol and glucose levels.



While those warm up, I'll whisk one whole egg with two egg whites. Perhaps it's just my pan, but if I only use egg whites the scramble just crumbles apart! Plus, it's morning - you need the calories and protein. My combination of eggs comes to approximately 13.2 grams of protein out of the daily recommended 46 grams for adult women.

Look at that deliciousness (topped with some homemade salsa)!

All-in-all, without adding the salsa (since it's homemade I really can't estimate anything there) this comes to approximately: 
147 calories
14.1 g protein
2 g fiber
6.8 g sugar
5.1 g fat 
100% delicious!

I typically might eat this with a side of yogurt and chia seeds, which are a FANTASTIC source of nutrients! Fiber, protein, and aminos - oh my! 

Happy breakfasting!

No comments:

Post a Comment