Saturday, May 10, 2014

Hello OH! Also - OW!

I've spent the last week traveling and setting into the apartment in Ohio. I'm fairly certain I could be considered a Tetris master after packing up my little car with as much as it could possibly hold (plus myself and the cat).

Speaking of - Schooner has settled nicely. A bit skittish at first, but he has quickly claimed a few of his favorite spots. Under each bed, in a round chair, bathroom counters... He's still getting used to being so high up - 14th floor baby! Plenty of cars and ant-like people to keep a watchful eye on. I suppose it makes up for the lack of bird watching he was getting so used to in Michigan.

Coastie wasted no time kicking my butt in the weight room. Obtaining a membership at the local gym was a priority Monday afternoon. Holy wow, am I feeling it?! Yes, yes I am. Haven't been lifting this heavy (and consistently) since before Christmas to be honest. Every time I stand to walk it's like I've dismounted from a horse after a day-long trail ride. Waddle, waddle...

My muscles scream first thing in the morning. I look arthritic trying to get out of the car. Any walking after prolonged periods of sitting is bad news bears. Trying to control my decent when I sit, instead of plopping down, is a challenge at times.

#TheStruggleIsReal


Though sore, I know I'll get through this initial "pain". That's the hard part of starting back up into a routine, I think. When you lift regularly, your body will recover quickly. When you take a break, your body will let you know how much it hates you when you start back up again. This to shall pass.

Life Pro Tip: Never take more than two rest days in a row.
 
To recover:
  • Drink a bucket-ton of water. There's no good reason to dehydrate yourself.
  • Initially after lifting, a cooler shower will help to reduce inflammation
  • In the morning, a hot shower to prepare muscles for stretching. Wet heat will reach the deepest, through skin, tissue and muscle, versus a dry heat like a heating pad.
  • Stretch!
  • Foam roll! Dear sweet baby Jesus - go out to Marshalls and get a $12 foam roller. It will work miracles and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it!
 
Amazing infographic piece on rolling:  

Foam Rolling Infographic
Get health and fitness tips at Greatist.com.

Happy Lifting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment